In 2016, the industrial sector was responsible for approx. 34 % of energy-related CO2 emissions in Germany. Meanwhile the players in this sector are particularly ambitious in developing strategies for reducing emissions (so-called "decarbonization strategies"). In order to reach abstract climate targets, a concrete sequence of measures, embedded in a viable and practical decarbonization strategy is essential.
However, still many uncertainties how climate protection measures can be assessed, prioritized, embedded into a holistic decarbonization strategy and thus be implemented in a structured manner exist. For example, in the context of industrial energy management, on a daily basis FfE consultants encounter a multitude of questions in their exchanges with energy managers from industry. These questions include:
- Which gases do I consider in the emissions balance, only CO2 emissions or also other greenhouse gases (GHG)?
- What is the amount of GHG emissions of my company?
- Which GHG emissions are produced in my supply chain?
- How do I actually account for GHG emissions and what are the limits of my accounting?
- Where are the most relevant areas for GHG savings? And how can I save GHG emissions in the most cost-effective way?
- Can I learn from others? Which best practice examples exist?
In order to answer these questions and thus reduce current barriers to the identification, prioritization and implementation of climate protection measures, the FfE uses the following helpful and proven methods, among others:
||Possible fields of application
|Carbon Footprint or calculation of CO2 emissions||Quantitative determination and specified method of reporting the GHG balance at company or site level (e.g. according to GHG Protocol, DIN 14064)||
|Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)||Systematic analysis and evaluation of the environmental impacts of products, processes and services over the entire life cycle (DIN 14040/44)||
|CO2- reduction costs||Indicator for evaluating the cost-effectiveness of CO2 reduction measures||
|Utility-Analysis||Determination of relevant criteria for the comparison of technologies or measures and weighting of the criteria among themselves||
|Decarbonization networks||Network of companies for further education and exchange of ideas regarding the development of practical decarbonization strategies||
Selected projects and publications:
- Climate neutral companies – developing an actionable GHG reduction strategy 20 January 2021
- Completion of the project: The Use of Grass Fiber in Paper Industry – Calculating the Carbon Footprint of an Alternative to Virgin Fibers 15 December 2020
- dekarbN – the newest network of the FfE is ready for launch! 14 December 2020
- Green district heating for Germany – Potential, costs, implementation 17 November 2020
- FfE-Workshop "Decarbonization strategies - methods, exchange possibilities and funding framework 19 October 2020
- The Use of Grass Fiber in Paper Industry – Calculating the Carbon Footprint of an Alternative to Virgin Fibers 16 October 2020
- Decarbonization network – dekarbN 26 June 2020
- Corporate Carbon Footprints - concretization through differentiated emission balances 19 June 2020
- Climate neutral heat supply in Munich 2035 19 June 2020